9/11 Memorial Design Details
The Boston Logan International Airport 9/11 Memorial
The Airport 9/11 Memorial is located on a 2.5 acre site adjacent to the Hilton Boston Logan Airport Hotel. The hotel served as the headquarters for Massport's Critical Assistance Relief Effort (CARE) Team which assisted family members in the aftermath of the attacks.
At the point of entry for the memorial, visitors follow one of two winding walkways that echo the flight paths of American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175, leading through a grove of Ginkgo trees to The Place of Remembrance.
Designed by Moskow Linn Architects, Inc., the Memorial is meant to:
- Symbolize the break between the world before and after
- Refocus view from earth to sky
- Honor the passengers and crew
- Create a place to reflect and remember
Interpretive Themes Included in the Memorial:
- Personal journeys of chaos, struggle and survival
- Tied to the setting Logan Airport and airport community
The Sudden Shift
- A beautiful day
- The unthinkable happens
- The world before and after
The Indelible Memory
- Never forget
- Daily and enduring for Logan Airport
- Honor and remember
The Cycles of Life
- Change, renewal and hope
For more information, download the Airport 9/11 Memorial brochure which includes directions to the Memorial.